PRP treatment for hair rejuvenation. An expert doctor from Boston’s best MedSpa shares their knowledge
Are you suffering from hair loss and looking for an effective solution? If so, then PRP treatment may be a great option for you. Lots of patients have had amazing success with this natural and non-surgical procedure.
PRP (platelet-rich plasma) is a component which is drawn directly from your own blood. This component contains lots of growth factors which, when injected into your scalp, can help to stimulate hair growth. Many types of hair loss, the most common being male- and female-pattern hair loss or androgenic alopecia, are caused by damage to the hair follicles, therefore the healing properties of PRP make it an effective treatment in these instances.
PRP for hair loss has grown in popularity in recent years as a means to increase hair count and volume.
How is PRP hair rejuvenation treatment performed?
So, what exactly can you expect during your PRP hair rejuvenation appointment?.
- Firstly, your treating clinician will draw some blood from you. This will feel no different to a routine blood test.
- Your blood will then be spun down in a centrifuge to separate your red blood cells, platelets and plasma. Your clinician will extract the platelet-rich plasma for your treatment.
- You may be offered a local anaesthetic at this point. Although most patients state that they feel no pain during the procedure, just a slight feeling of pressure.
- The PRP solution is then either injected directly into your scalp or applied as a topical treatment following microneedling. This procedure typically takes less than an hour, but you may require several treatment sessions to achieve your desired results.
What are the benefits of PRP hair treatment?
Whatever the cause, hair loss can significantly compromise your self confidence. So what are the benefits of pursuing PRP hair loss treatment?
- Safety: As a naturally derived solution, PRP has little risk of side effects or allergic reaction.
- Minimally invasive: PRP hair loss treatment is an effective alternative to a surgical hair transplant. The procedure itself should cause you no or minimal discomfort.
- No downtime: PRP hair rejuvenation can fit in with your busy work schedule. You will be able to drive home yourself straight after your procedure and head back to your usual daily activities with no worries.
- Effective: PRP hair restoration can provide you with amazing results. Reviews of the treatment from previous patients are excellent, with the majority seeing visible results 3 months after their treatment. A quick browse online to find before and after pictures for PRP hair loss treatment will help you to see exactly what you can hope to achieve.
- Affordable: PRP therapy is a cheaper (yet still effective!), option when compared to alternatives, such as hair transplants, topical creams and pills.
Are there any side effects associated with PRP hair treatment?
If you are feeling a bit apprehensive about your procedure, then rest assured PRP treatment is considered to be entirely safe. As PRP is derived from your own blood, there is no risk of an allergic reaction, which may occur with other synthetic treatments. However, as with any cosmetic treatment, there are side effects associated with PRP for hair loss, but these are usually mild and temporary.
Some of the adverse effects that you may experience after your treatment include:
- Mild discomfort at the injection site
- Slight bleeding at the injection site
- Some swelling
- A headache
As the treatment involves the insertion of needles into your body, there is also a small risk of infection and nerve damage. This risk can be reduced by making sure that you choose an experienced and reputable physician to carry out your treatment. Within the Boston area, the acclaimed and highly skilled, board certified doctors at Evolution MedSpa Boston can provide you with the best possible care. Their compassionate yet professional approach can help you to achieve your goals in the safest possible way.
How much will PRP therapy for hair loss cost you?
PRP therapy is not cheap, however it can work out to be much more cost effective than alternative treatment options. Typically, you can expect to pay between $500 and $1000 per injection session. Obviously, the total cost that you can expect to pay will depend upon how many treatment sessions you need. Cost is one topic that it is important to discuss at your initial consultation with your doctor, so that you may get a more accurate idea of how much you can expect to pay.
How many PRP treatments will you need to see your desired results?
So, exactly how many treatments will you need before you get to see the amazing results that you are seeking? It is usually recommended that your initial treatment consists of 3-4 sessions at 4-6 week intervals. After these sessions, your doctor will probably advise you to attend for follow-up appointments in 6 months and then 12 months.
Is PRP treatment a permanent solution for hair loss?
It will probably be 3 months before you notice any visible signs of significant new hair growth in your treated area. It can take up to 6 months after treatment to see your optimal results. But are these results permanent? The short answer to this question is no. The results that you obtain from your PRP hair rejuvenation are not permanent and you can expect to need follow-up injections at least every year to maintain your new growth.
Effective hair loss treatment in the Boston area
If you live around the Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts or Boston Metro area, then give Evolution MedSpa Boston a call or book your initial consultation online today. Drs. Eric and Mariam Cappiello can help you to determine if PRP hair loss treatment is right for you and to formulate an effective, individual treatment plan designed with your goals in mind.